Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Hanging On

This has been one of the roughest weeks of my life. Physically and emotionally. I returned from Hong Kong (photos!) on Friday. It was a brutal 21 hours of travel- 13 hour flight to LAX, 4 hour layover, 3 hour flight to Dallas, 1.5 hour layover, 1 hour flight to Austin. Arrival time: 8:10 AM. The last time I went was in 06, and I don't remember it being so draining. I've basically been recovering from food poisoning (thanks dim sum), jet lag of 13 hours, and a combination of not eating much and upset stomach since then. On top of that, the stress of coming back to the week of my move, with nothing having been set up yet by B, it's all killing me. I've never felt so fatigued and weak in my life.

Saturday I woke up at 5 am and was sick all day from exhaustion, so much so that I couldn't even drag myself out of bed to get food. I felt an heavy, oppressive fatigue that seemed to increase even after I slept the whole morning. I barely had enough energy to text people from my iPhone, much less respond to their text replies. Worried that I was super sick and had to go to the doctor/hospital, I finally reached B and had him leave work and bring me food. On Sunday, I felt better and ran some errands and did a lot of packing. That night I had the worst nightmare ever (had to do with infidelity and yelling a lot) and had a restless sleep. Monday I had to go back to work, welcomed by stacks of papers to deal with and a short payroll deadline. It was all too much for me, and I had an unexpected freak out when meeting B for lunch. I don't know what I'd do without him, because he managed to calm me down and make me eat a bite before my lunch hour was over. Yesterday evening I crashed and took a 2 hour nap, but upon being awakened to eat dinner, I felt exceedingly nauseasted and weak for the rest of the evening. I was completely useless once again and ended the evening by crawling into bed, laying in the fetal position, and whimpering.

This morning I woke up at 3 AM and couldn't sleep anymore, even after 2 Benadryls, since I was anxious and my stomach still felt off. I would rather not resort to actual sleeping pills, but it was frustrating, to say in the least. I ate some food, played with Boyd, Twittered, and laid in bed. For hours. A futile effort. I ended up dropping by HEB at 7 AM, convinced that I needed some sort of health boost ASAP, so I got soy yogurt, kombucha and some breakfast. Probiotics? The last time I tried kombucha it made my stomach gurgle all day and gave me the tipsies. I hope it's worth giving it another chance. So now I'm at work at 8 AM (not sure how early the office unlocks), just hanging out for a bit until my boss comes in. Then I'll start the boring stuff. Moving tomorrow. On top of that, I just received an email from my mom about my grandma's failing condition. It's gonna be a rough week.. If I don't make it out OK, I'm thinking I might take more days off to rest and go to the doctor, because this has reached the level of ridiculous.


Rachel B said...

Yikes! I hope you survive! We need to have you and Brook over for dinner as soon as you're better!

Fern said...

For sure! And we want to invite yall over too, as soon as we get a dining table!