Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Still Striving For That Silver Nickel

Does any girl recognize the reference in the title? Keys for the Kingdom, anyone?

Modular houses: the houses of tomorrow
(Check out MD 100, your own backyard reading room; unfortunately, you must have a cool enough yard to achieve that modern look)

Sorry for that last post! After I actually reread it, I saw that it was definitely f.
(a) too wordy
(b) imprecise
(c) convoluted
(d) pretentious
(e) rough
(f) all of the above

Don't let me write badly if it can be helped.

Now, if only I could remember my blog password .. then I dare say this online journal thing could boast more updates than H. Reding's. At the office, there's a lot of free time and sitting around, which beats constant hard work, but it bores me to tears. This has made me realize how important it is to enjoy my future career. It's only my 4th day of work and I'm pretty tired of it. I've never worked full-time before and I feel like I have no time to do things anymore; this isn't true, but I feel more like and adult .. poor them, they don't have time to pursue their interests and just hang out. The cycle of rest and work - and then you gotta squeeze kids in there somehow. To kill the stagnant time, I have been scouring the web for music news and one day was dedicated to following links in Wikipedia. I dabbled a bit in the theology/religion/cult and sword sections, and then spent the remainder of my attention on the "best selling artists of all time" page. I like that site and I even contributed by correcting a few typos and awkward sentences in one entry I read.

Humans make everything dirty. And then they clean up. And then things naturally become dirty again (we do it).

Today's brainstorms:
If I had a pop culture news blog, I'd call it Juice.
If I had a product company, I'd call it Individuelist.
If I had a band, I'd call it _(a good adj.)_ By Nature.

In terms of music, am getting sick of:
- bands who rip off old bands, and are praised for it. I couldn't even listen to the whole single from the Kaiser Chiefs today in my car. I guess I mean that I'm against those bands gaining so much publicity and hype- it's fine if they want to borrow from the 80's, but why encourage them so? If you're older than I am, just pull out some of your old Stone Roses, XTC, New Order, Smiths albums, right? Don't give me none of that Bravery crap. (OK so I've only heard 30 seconds of their song after an episode of "MTV Cribs", but I'm lazy so I'll assume.) In this way, I am learning to appreciate originality and demand more from bands than simply pleasant or hip-sounding tunes.
- a term I made up, insignificant pop. In the past, I made the mistake of extolling sweet-sounding, obscure independent pop bands. This no longer satisfies me. There's a reason these bands aren't big in the least. Boring! I complain about the music world being strictly segregated into genres and it's something I've been conditioned to do as well. No longer, I hope. Wrench open my preferences to let in more than a narrow stream of pitchfork media picks and twee pop. From now on, I'd like to enjoy all good music!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Ready Made article on the mod dwelling.
http://www.readymademag.com/feature_10_shack.php

-f.