Friday, April 10, 2009

Dapper


OK so I freely admit I have very little knowledge or interest in "old" music, especially old school funk/soul. The beats, style, and crooning never really appealed to me and the music just sounds too dated (production-wise). I had the impression that only older people who were alive back in the day, uber-serious audiophiles, and young people with loose and lazy taste in pop liked that kind of music. But in the past few weeks, I've come across a stellar, catchy, standalone track by Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, which is found on the Dark Was the Night compilation. And this morning, someone was filling on for John Aielly, and played this fabulous and interesting instrumental, which I enjoyed on my way to work. Looked it up later- The Menahan Street Band, which is also comprised of some of the Dap Kings. Hear em!

Inspiration Information (Shuggie Otis cover) - Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings

Contender - The Menahan Street Band

Img source: St. Louis Today

No comments: