Sunday, May 16, 2010

Toe Woe


That is my nasty looking big toe! I dropped a 15 lb weight bar on it yesterday during a class workout. I was about to laugh it off, but soon realized that the pain was deepening quickly. I laid down and managed not to wail in front of everyone while my trainer inspected it. Eventually, someone called B to come and pick me up. They suggested that I go to the ER because it was swelling so much, but I just went home. I'm still kicking myself for having this gap in health insurance. June 1 seems so far away... Anyway, I've been icing it, but it doesn't seem to be improving much. It feels feverish and kinda feels like it's going to explode. I'll try to go to my general practitioner tomorrow and possibly get it drained (subungual hematoma), though the thought of that still makes me squeamish. X-rays are expensive, and if it's broken, you just let it heal on its own, right? I've never broken anything, and I feel like a ninny for freaking out about this. I just don't like not knowing what is going on with my body when it's hurt. So far, the Shelleys aren't doing too hot in our boot camp. B has been out because he has knee pain due to weak hamstrings and strong quads. We were going to take a running clinic to Saturday, but I that's not going to happen. I really hate being lame, literally. Going to go pop some ibuprofen.

8 comments:

Brandon W. said...

OW!! I would be freaking out about that too! Toe pain is so horrible. And fear of the unknown - right there with you on that, it's the worst feeling, not knowing. I have much empathy for you!

I think x-rays would cost around $120-$150 ballpark.. could be wrong of course, but I don't think it would be too much $$$.

Fern said...

Thank you for your encouragement!! I will try and get x-rays, if the doc says so.

SuzyFormager said...

i called my nurse aunt when i hurt my thumb and she advised me to not waste $ on the doctor because, as you say, there's nothing they can really do anyway even if it's broken. i guess the exception is if they can relieve the subungal hematoma, which in retrospect was definitely the worst part. as awful as it sounds, if i had it to do over i would definitely go to the doctor and have them drill a hole or something. but i probably wouldn't bother with the x-rays unless the doctor really recommended it and could give a good reason. so sorry this happened to you! hope you get some relief stat!

Fern said...

Thanks for the insight! I actually did go to my doctor yesterday. He drained the blood under the nail (it was like popping a zit, almost!). Fortunately, he said x-rays were up to me and I left paying $72 out of pocket. It feels much better now and I'm glad I went to him instead of the ER or the podiatrist.

Fern said...

On a different note, I don't think the cutting boards are going to work out. Each time I wash them, a brown residue comes off. They must not have been treated correctly by the seller. Sorry!! Now I gotta think of what else to do with em...

Brandon W. said...

Did the drill noise freak you out? Did it hurt? That sounds so nasty!

Fern said...

He actually used a paperclip (!) and heated up the end using matches. Then he lightly placed it on my toenail and it melted it away in 1 second. Cray huh?

Brandon W. said...

Wah, that's cray-cray! I just WIKIied it though and apparently that's the typical procedure. How droll. How wonderfully low tech.

At least you didn't have it as bad as this guy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ToeNailInjury.jpg