Friday, October 16, 2009

M79



This isn't the best sounding video, but it's genuinely fun. I didn't go out of my way to listen to Vampire Weekend when they first came out and totally blew up last year. Their insane sudden popularity was followed by very strong backlash, due to their traditional African music influences. The fact that they were all super white ivy-leaguers probably didn't help either. I'm sure they didn't imagine so many strong reactions to their innocuous pop album. It's best to ignore all that BS anyway. "M79" is my favorite song of theirs, and I'm really impressed if they wrote all the string arrangements.

1 comment:

Fern said...

Much of my joy in watching this video is stemmed from the fact that there are students playing strings. I wish i could've played in such a band back in the day.