Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Football Frenzy

I haven't been watching the World Cup. It's not so fun trying to decipher the commentary and team names in Japanese. Anyhow, I still feel somewhat connected with my friends abroad, who are also residing in soccer/ football - crazed countries (aka not the US). Like, what's up with the US and American football?

This ad is ridic. But very creative.

Today we went to a talk by an ex- US ambassador, ex- CEO of some corporation, ex- journalist about corporate communication. The old man with a very red face and a pus- colored comb- down threw around concepts like 'niche marketing' and the decline of the efficacy of print media. Yawned half the time, but it was useful. Now I know I want to be as far away from business as possible. Of course, there is always the possibility of huge profits, but you always have to be on your toes, seeking out more information, non- stop work. There is no life beyond work. Not my idea of a career I want. And friends, what friends? Everyone is a contact, a connection, only useful for what they can do for you and your standing. Dreadful stuff.

No comments: