Wednesday, June 01, 2005

"The World's Greatest Fantasy Classic!"

One of the books in which my nose has been stuck recently is The Once and Future King by T.H. White. I've always been fascinated by the tales of King Arthur and Merlin, his wizard tutor. The only description of it I received before cracking it open was unbelievably uninspiring ("It sucks"): seeing the book on my shelf, roommate Erin remarked that she was one of the few students who had actually read the clunker when it was assigned in high school.

However, I think it's an excellent read! He makes the world very real to us readers so that we get a good feel of how it was like to live in that time period. In one short section, the author outlines the basics and science of jousting in a manner that is cozily informal, yet very informative. So that's the strategy! And, you get to experience what it's like to be a boy who gets to see what it's like to be a fish and a bird (not at the same time). Awesome!

p.s. I got a haircut. It's real short. I look like a boy? It'll grow out before any of you hooligans see it though.

9 comments:

mcoker said...

yo. i'm putting your blog on my favorites. you seem very cool an interesting. keep that up... the whole cool and intersting thing :)

Fern said...

yo mcoker. you're a regular haunt on john's blog, i know that much. thanks for the praise, I try. by the way, whatever happened to your blog?

mcoker said...

http://www.phat32.com

Anonymous said...

hey girl, i want to see your hair. send me a picture. i would cut mine boy short if i were not trying to save it for the cancers. <3<3<3

Fern said...

um, ok. since I can't tell who wrote the last comment,
[clues:
- <3 hearts. hm, a lot of girls do that now, but mary started it.
- cancer..s? a plural disease? this looks like a kk.]
I'll just send a photo of myself to all of my friends. who are girls.

Fern said...

ok I'm gonna guess mary since the time stamp was 8:43 AM. ! am i right?

mcoker said...

i want to see, too! we're friends now right? and i'm girly. well, not really.

Fern said...

ok, you too. and, are you being sly - registering in blogger just to comment on your friends' posts?

mcoker said...

why else would you register on blogger? i already gots me a blog!!